It's been an exciting busy week for the discover studios team this week, London tech week took over our lives we're back! So here, a little later than usual, is our summary of the tech news for the past fortnight....
It's been a tough few weeks here in London, with lots of bad dominating the news, a ray of hope always comes from seeing communities coming together and last week, London came together to celebrate innovation, creativity and collaboration for London Tech Week 2017.
There were events all over the city, attracting crowds from all over the world and we've loved every minute of it!
Mayor Sadiq Khan opens London tech week at the start of this week Sadiq Khan spoke to us about his vision for the future of London. This included encouraging diversity in tech, forming a 'tech talent pipe line' which would enable young Londoners to learn and develop their digital skills, and he also reassured European techies that London is open for business, and Brexit will not change the amazing tech community from across the world that has developed in here and continues to push our tech sector as one of the top in the world.
Other highlights of the week included the most exciting sporting event to hit London since the 2012 olympics as Alexandra palace played host to the 2017 World Drone racing league and TechXLR8 @ the excel, a 3 day conference of tech innovation VR&AR, Apps, Internet of things, AI & machine learning and even connected vehicles all in on room!
Along with all the events happening, the week was a great opportunity for everyone in tech to come together in a week of networking, meet ups and partying in the name of tech. All in all, London showed the world what a wonderful mix of culture, creativity and diversity we have in our city, something we are very proud to be part of.
Its that time of year again where we are hit with a swarm of new content for all our favourite gaming platforms. E3 2017 has not let us down with a heap of new exciting games and even some old classics brought back to life! The best news, of course, is a mass release of virtual reality experience announcements
PSVR have been busy when it comes to announcing new VR titles, with a tonne of new games and experiences coming to the console in the coming months. We are especially looking forward to DoomVR which is just as much exciting as it is terrifying and a Spiderman VR experience, across all VR platforms, not just Playstation set for release on 30th June.
As well as PSVR announcing some great looking VR titles, Oculus had some really interesting titles as well. One that we are particularly curious about is Transference by Ubisoft, with Elijah Wood fronting the surreal trailer it’s definitely got our attention, Check out the trailer here
In terms of other non-VR announcements, there's just too many to mention, but one that stands out as the most exciting for us... it’s Mario! Nintendo doing what Nintendo do best announced the latest addition the Super Mario Series and we are hooked. Check out the crazily addictive theme tune in their latest trailer for Mario odyssey here!
In other VR news...
- Finnish VR & AR start up Varjo announced this week the first-ever human eye resolution immersive display. Promising resolutions 70x higher than any other HMD on the market if what we've seen is true, this is an absolute game changer for immersive technologies of the future. Be sure to keep an eye on them!
- Youtube announced heat map analytics for 360° Videos from today. This tool, already implemented in Facebook's 360° analytics, is a great insight for directors and creatives to understand what their audiences are paying attention too. Check out the youtube creators Blog for some great tips on creating the most effective 360° content.
- Valve this week gave us some insight into their latest dev kit for new knuckles controllers for use with the vive. While showing some familiar features such as the trigger and trackpad buttons of the vive controllers, the USP for valves device is an individual finger tracking feature.
- Some exciting news announced yesterday for 360° video fans, Adobe has acquired 360° plugin company Mettle. This is a great move for Adobe who up until now have relied on external companies to integrate 360° abilities into their video software such as after effects and premier pro. This means that those with a creative cloud license should soon have access to all Mettle's skybox studio, hopefully causing an uptake of future 360° content creators!
- 27th-29th June: Unite'17 Europe kick offs at the end of the month in beautiful Amsterdam. Unity Dev's get your tickets now and join in one of the biggest and best conferences (and after parties!) this side of the pond. We'll see you there!
- 6/7th July: UKVR festival takes place in early July, aimed at creatives, the event is "an exploration into the creative and technological potential of virtual reality" sound good? you can buy tickets here
- 18th July: Stick it in your diary, VRLO is on 18th July, if you missed the ticket give away make sure you secure yourself on the waiting list for a great night of networking and playing some VR.
We're always looking to spread the news for new and exciting tech events, if you have an event you'd like to us to shout about get in touch and we'll add it to our upcoming VR events calendar!
That's all your tech indulgence for June! It's been a busy month, and we're sure July will be just as exciting with lots of events going on. We hope you enjoyed the first month of our new posts, we'd love to her what you think.
Next week we will be live from Amsterdam at Unity's Unite2017! We hope to see you there, but if you cant make it be sure to stay tuned for all the latest from the show!